Sunday, July 3, 2011

God Bless My America

Though I may not be celebrating this American holiday on American soil, my patriotic blood runs strong.   Being an ocean away doesn't stop me from dreaming of having a bbq with my family, and all those rich desserts.  Then maybe we'd have a big water fight again!  How I'd love to snuggle with some of my little nieces and nephews, on a blanket, watching the fireworks.

My thoughts turn to the soldiers fighting on foreign shores.  Last year it was dad.  I'm thankful, so very thankful for the men and woman who fight to preserve our freedom.  I recently saw this picture and heard this story.  It brought tears to my eyes.
"He is Chief Master Sergeant John Gebhardt in the USAF serving in Afghanistan
As high as you can go in enlisted ranks (E-9)

John Gebhardt's wife, Mindy, said that this little girl's entire family was executed.
The insurgents intended to execute the little girl also, and shot her in the head...but they failed to kill her. 

She was cared for in John's hospital and is healing up, but continues to cry and moan.The nurses said John is the only one who seems to calm her down, so John has spent the last four nights holding her while they both slept in that chair. The girl is coming along with her healing.  He is a real Star of the war, and represents what the combined service is trying to do. The world needs to see pictures like this and needs to realise that what we're doing over there is making a difference. 
Even if it is just one little girl at a time."

I'm proud to be American, the Land of the Free and the Brave.

Here are some of our Happy Birthday America projects.
Butter cookies
Daddy's Favorite Frosting  
(works great in very high humidity climates...such as my kitchen)
1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream together.  Easy as pie.

4th of July Fancy Smancy Sparkling Toes!!!
The princesses have to get their sparkle on.  It was so, so easy!  I just did the base coat, sprinkled on the glitter while wet.  Then after letting it dry I applied two clear coats, letting it dry well in between times.  It's lasted 3 days...with one afternoon playing in their pool.  So I'm thinking they'll be asking for this regular like.   I didn't think the pastor's wife should be sportin' multi-colored toes Sunday morn, so mine were just red...but sparkly.  {grin}
We made playdough
To make it more patriotic I sprinkled some glitter on the table and let them knead it in...they loved that.  Why are we so drawn to shiny stuff?

Finger print American Flags
I made a squiggly line with a pencil and then had them tap red paint along the line.  Then I had them use their thumbs for the blue part.

4 comments:

Mendi... said...

Maria~

You are so fun & creative. Even though our girls are older, I think that they would love, love, love all of these ideas. Our oldest daughter is very much into nail art and does several people's nails (of course for free) and is always looking for new ideas. This is great as are the cookies & play dough! Thanks for sharing!

I visit your blog often, I just don't always comment!

Happy 4th of July to you in Jamaica! :o) (We've been there more than once and greatly enjoyed visiting...)

Mendi

Beth said...

Happy 4th of July! We will be celebrating here in New Zealand as well. A bbq tonight followed by s'mores (well, as close as we can come) and some sparklers. I can't wait!

Jessi said...

Great ideas, Maria.

Rebekah said...

That looks great! I ♥ Red, White, and Blue. I left for camp then soooo my 4th of July was fun.
~Rebekah~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...