Monday, August 29, 2011

Holding Extreme Power

The power of my voice.

Normal everyday situations fall crashing and clattering at my feet.  Just like that bowl of cornflakes someone just spilt.  Slipping from those small fingers....clattering loudly on the tiled floor.  I watched it all in slow motion as the milk gracefully swirled up in the air.  {Blink}

Wide eyes turn to see mama's reaction.  Now it's my turn.  I'm on the stage right now.  {deep breath}

With just my choice of words and voice tone I hold extreme power.
I can make them feel guilty.
I can make them feel ashamed.
I can make them feel inferior.
I can make them feel scared.

Do I really want them to start a day like that?  Start OUR day like that?  It's not even 7 o'clock yet.

Mama grabs two rags.  Hands one to the little princess and says, "Let's let the dog in...he loves milk.  Doesn't he?"

Now doesn't that SOUND like we're gonna have a good day?  Who's day can you make better today?

Princess Moriah and Princess Alexis (Sunday Morning)
someone said....
"mom, it's so much fun to match!"  Give them about 10 years!

9 comments:

Alison said...

So true. I love the books unconditional parenting and playful parenting which are in essence all about what you did this morning. I really find it hard sometimes but it is worth it to start the day with everyone feeling happy and loved!

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

oh so so so true!!!! a picture perfect way to start the day and i am sure that the dog didn't mind at all! : ) if everyone had that smile instead of a stern frown the world would be a much happier place! hugs

A Country Mix said...

So true! Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

This hit the spot for me today! Thank-you for the reminder!!!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

So true! Thanks for a gentle reminder :)

Mona said...

This was a sweet reminder! You seem like a great mommy!!

Becca said...

This is something I have been working on for a while. Lately I have realized exactly how much my actions influence my children, whether by setting the mood for the day, or by making an impact on how they handle a future situation. Thank you so much for this wonderful post!

Jeanie said...

A daily decision - - wish I always made the right one! By the way, my baby sister and I have NEVER outgrown the love of matching! Each year we try to make sure we get at least one blouse that matches! Guess we never grew up! ;)

Shelly said...

Maria, this touched my heart so that I printed it off and read it over from time to time as a reminder. My family is grown, but I still need this lesson some days. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...