Friday, February 24, 2012

be a chicken lady

sweat on my brow and the smell of wet chicken drifting on the breeze
here's a picture for anyone out there
 who might have the {silly} notion that just because I live on a tropical island
 my days are spent lounging on the beach
(Alexis, age 6)
Every 6 weeks we "process" our chickens.  Alexis was my big helper today.  Usually I don't let the girls touch anything.  We don't use hot water in the house regularly so cleaning them up properly is more of a chore then just doing the work by myself.  Today, though, Princess Alexis really wanted to help.  She changed into some old, play clothes and took her place at the outside table.  

She was all brave until the first warm chicken was flopped down on the table in front of her.  I cut open a hole and said, "Pull the insides out."  She studied the chicken, took a deep breath and went for it.....only to pull her hand back at the last minute!  You could just see the little wheels in her mind turning as she tried to tell herself to just touch him, but then she'd pull her hand back again.  Finally she looked at me and asked, "Will you be proud of me?"  "Oh, yes!" I told her with wide eyes.  That's all it took.  With no fear, she stuck her hand in and pulled!  

"Ah-sgusting!"  Princess Eden called from the back ground.  I agree.  It was rather, ah-gusting.  It only got worse.  She stood right by my side and helped mommy clean all 12.  I've seen grown women with a lot less stamina.  I'm proud.

Alexis said, "Mom, I'm gonna be a chicken lady.  Just like you."  I looked her in the eye and said, "Mommy, has higher aspirations for you."  But if it makes you happy to be a chicken lady.  Be a chicken lady, and be proud!

I enjoyed a {rare} long hot, hot shower,

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Maria this post reminds me of all the times I butchered my chickens. I remember once Amber was going to help and she went and found a pair of gloves. Love you all. God bless.

imklvr said...

I grew up on a farm and went through the same 'rite of passage'! I'm proud of her too! What a wonderful girl she is. Oh, you are a wonderful mom!

Chris and Carole said...

I was a teenager when my parents started raising chickens. Before that we had steers and pigs. I must admit... butchering chickens was my least favorite chore. I am so thankful for five brothers who didn't mind getting their hands dirty :-)

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

Love this! Kudos to the both of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...