Saturday, February 11, 2012

the lesson of the droopy rose

I don't remember where I heard this story before, but it is something from my girlhood that really "sunk in" and stayed with me.  The Girls Only Club is going good, meeting every Saturday at 10:00.  I enjoy planting little seeds of purity in my young girls hearts.

Today, I laid 2 beautiful red roses in the center of the concrete table.  The girls "ohh and ahhed" over them.  We admired them throughout the meeting, enjoying their faint scent floating on the breeze.  

After we finished our worksheets, I gently picked up one of the roses, held it to my nose and {dramatically} breathed deep.  "Doesn't a rose just smell heavenly?"  We passed that rose around the table.  Each girl held it to her nose, smelling the red rose.  

Next, I rubbed one of the outside petals between my fingers.  "Don't they feel so soft and velvety?"  Each girl had a chance to rub the rose between her fingers and against her cheek.


The rose made 2 more circles around the table, letting each girl enjoy it's beauty.  After much delicate abuse the petals were droopy and several fell out.  I laid the well-used rose back in the center of our circle, beside the untouched one.  "Now, if you could take one of these roses home with you, which rose would you choose?"  Each girl said the perfect looking, untouched one.

"Today, you are young, beautiful, pure...just like this fresh rose."  I went on to describe in detail how not to turn out like the droopy rose.  

"When Prince Charming comes charging over the hill on his white steed, which "rose" do you think he'd choose?"

12 comments:

Melissa said...

You are truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing another beautiful post. Those girls are so blessed to have you in their lives to guide them. Keep up the amazing work.
God Bless You!!!

Kami Gimenez said...

Love it, Maria! What a great illustration!

Christine said...

sweet story! I am going to share that one day :)

Christine said...

I have been thinking about this all day since I read it. I wish I had this to reference when I was younger. I am going to share it on my blog, if it is ok with you.

♥ Amy said...

Mrs. Young did the same with me and my friends when I was young and it stuck with me, too.
I get excited to think of how you will impact the hearts of these little girls. What a beautiful ministry.
Have a wonderful Sunday, my friend!

Jolene said...

I have heard this one and used it myself before. And, its message is always relevant. Great job, my friend!

Juf said...

What a great object lesson - I need to remember this!

Shelly said...

What a wonderful illustration. I'm tucking it away for future reference.

Bethany said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's a great idea! I've always liked the "story of the three cups" comparing a styrofoam cup, coffee mug, and pretty teacup.I'm sure you can imagine the comparisons and that the pretty teacup is the pure girl.

OrchidsandLaundry said...

My Grandma had a very old-looking small red book with the story of the rose in it. It has always made a deep impression on me and is one I have used often. it is simply beautiful and seems to really resonate with young ladies.

tascha said...

I heard this story when I was a teenager and it had a profound impact on my outlook on dating and such. I have seen God "restore" but there are still consequences.
your princesses are such dolls. they and your Girls Club are blessed to have you.

theexplodinggirl said...

The Johnson Familia did share this on her blog and I was happy to find it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...