Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do you still notice Spring when Winter's not Cold?

"I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring.  Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth?"  ~Edward Giobbi

Last Monday, even though we weren't feeling well, the princesses and I planted garden seeds along one of our walls.  We planted many green beans, carrots, broccoli (Alexis wasn't excited about this one), and sweet corn.  I love getting out, and digging in the dirt.  One of my favorite smells is fresh turned dirt.  I know it might sound strange, but maybe it was because I grew up in farm country in Missouri.  Some of my most favorite smells are a freshly turned field or the sweet smell of fresh cut hay.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

The girls have been very good about watering their garden twice a day.  We have planted several hibiscus (red, orange, and pink), ferns, and roses also.  Saturday morning, Moriah was outside watering, and she shouted, "Mom, come look quick!"  My first thought is...."ugh...what did the dog eat now?"  I was relieved and down right thrilled to see we had several green beans sprouted!  After we looked around we noticed that our sweet corn and broccoli were peaking their little green heads up to the sunshine also!  Call me simple if you want to but that is a miracle!  God is so Good!

p.s. "If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall."  ~Nadine Stair
Eden's hands holding their precious bird egg.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

As soon as this snow melts, I am going to be planting seeds too! Funny how we live in completely different climates (couldn't dream of going to the beach in this weather!), yet we are still doing some of the same things!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...