Wednesday, July 13, 2011

T' Time {#17}

Wow, how fast time rolls around.  It's already time for another Take the Time To Challenge.  Time for us to stop...drop... and roll.  No wait that's not it.  Stop....take a breath....and enjoy your kids.  

I'm so happy to introduce you to another awesome mom who's my guest today .... meet Laura!  She is a foreign missionary currently serving in Ghana.  We attended the same Bible College where we were privileged to meet her and her husband.  We have a lot of respect for this couple.

Slip on your flip flops and take a trip into Africa.  Visit her blog HERE.

"I am thankful for the privilege of growing up in a Christian home in Oklahoma City. I was saved at the age of eight and surrendered to be a missionary at the age of fifteen. I never dreamed of ending up in Africa, but I would not have it any other way. 
I met my husband, Joe Consford, at Oklahoma Baptist College. I had already graduated when we started dating. We got married December 15, 2000, and hit the deputation trail at the end of January 2001. Life has been a great adventure ever since. A missionary friend in Ivory Coast says, “Nothing exciting ever happens to Joe.” He says that facetiously because Joe always has a story about something that happened that day. 

We went to language school in France in 2003, and arrived in Ivory Coast, West Africa, in 2004. Due to civil war in that country, we have had to leave on more than one occasion. We are presently in Ghana, West Africa, after leaving Ivory Coast in January due to civil war after the November elections. We were in Ghana in 2006-April 2007 as well. One of the churches that we helped when we were here in 2006 was struggling and without a pastor shortly after we arrived in Ghana in January. We sought the Lord’s will and considered several options, but after our vehicle was broken down for ten weeks, we came to the conclusion that the Lord wanted us to stay right here in Takoradi, Ghana. As soon as we made that decision, our vehicle was up and going that week. Joe calls our vehicle Balaam’s donkey! Joe is currently the missionary pastor of the Mt. Calvary Baptist Church.
Some of my favorite things are CHEESE, Dr. Pepper, mushroom and swiss burgers, quesadillas, pizza, and Skor bars. I love to read. I also enjoy scrapbooking and sewing but have not found much time to do those things lately. 
We have three children, Gilbert (6), Danny (4 ¾), and Bonnie (3). They definitely keep us on our toes! They come up with some of the funniest things. 
When I was growing up, my mom always tried to make things fun. I am the second oldest of five children; I have an older brother and three younger sisters. Mom even made household chores fun. On Saturday mornings, we would have a huddle so that everyone would know what they were supposed to do. Then, we would spring into action. 

I strive to make things fun for my children too. 


This week’s take the time to challenge is . . . Let your children help you in the kitchen. 
It does take longer; it is more challenging, but the kids enjoy it so much. Mind you, I do not let them help with every meal. But usually at least one meal a day, they help with the preparations and clean up. We made sweet and sour meatballs for supper the other night. Gilbert and Bonnie were on the bread crumb detail, and Danny helped me with the sauce."

Thanks, Laura.  Great challenge!  Loved the part about you loving cheese.  In the back of my mind, there was a story, around school, about Joe buying you cheese instead of flowers while you were dating....{wink}.  Sweet memories.
  

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Ha! I remember hearing that story too. Bro. Vineyard loved to tell how he suggested that Bro. Joe go buy that special kind of cheese before he asked her out!

Unknown said...

Yes, I did get some Watonga Longhorn cheddar cheese on more than one occasion! Someone asked for the meatball recipe. So, I'll put it on here. It is my mom's recipe.
Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
5 slices bread (soaked in water)
2 lbs. ground beef
1 med. onion chopped
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Squeeze water out of bread. Mix in ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Shape into walnut-size balls. Place on broiler pan and bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Sauce:
2 c. tomato juice
1/4 c. vinegar
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small onion, chopped
8-10 ginger snap cookies
Combine all sauce ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer until ginger snaps are dissolved. (It will thicken.) Add meatballs and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice.

Jolene said...

Laura, I loved hearing about your Mom's Saturday "huddles!" I can SO imagine her doing this! What great parents you have, and I am confident you are following beautifully in their footprints.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...