Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Paddy's Day

March 17
Anyone that truly knows me...knows I LOVE St. Patrick's day....and pretty much anything Irish.  Around here we take the whole "green thing" pretty seriously.
My cubby little leprechaun.
I bought these jelly feelin' window clings in the States 
and brought them back with us.  
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm mesmerized by them, 
I think the gooey texture is pretty awesome!
I gave them to the princesses to put on the window by themselves. 
Later I realize that they put a "gold coin" on the end of "day", 
thus spelling 
"day-o". 
Rather fitting for Jamaica don't you think?
We have very few actual glass windows in our house.
Nearly all of the windows are just wooden slates you turn 
to catch the breeze, 
like the ones on the side of the picture.
Princess Eden and I made Irish Butter Cookies 
while the others did their writing assignments.
I know, what kind of a mother makes her kids do school work 
on a holiday, right?
That's what Moriah kept asking.
Opps, what happened to those missing cookies?
Don't worry, I brushed the crumbs off my fingers before 
I snapped the picture.
These are so yummy.  
I can literally smell them as I look at the picture.
There's nothing quite as good 
as a gooey homemade cookie right out of the oven.  
Crinkle Butter Cookies
1 1/4 c. Sugar
1 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon creme of tarter
Cream together first 4 ingredients then add dry ones.  I bake at 350 and take them out just before they get firm and let them sit on the pan for just a few minutes.  I don't care for dry or hard cookies and these are so moist.

I love decorating for each holiday.  Here is a little craft I did 
for the center of the table.  
I actually did it a week and half ago and meant to post it then
...but....
honestly a new excuse fails me.  
I'm a busy mom.
My {awesome} M-I-L gave me a bunch of these 
beautiful table napkins with antique lace on them. 
I hope she'll forgive me for decorating this one, 
but I do love how it turned out 
and am getting a bunch of pleasure out of it.  
Irish things are not just March decorations for me, 
I like them all year round. 

I cut out tiny little green hearts 
and sewed them very haphazardly on in the shape of clovers 
and I continued on to write my little message.
Personally, I like the handmade personal look that it turned out to be.
The edges of the little clovers flop up and look sweet.
This is the princess's contribution to the table.  
A {very} sparkling bouquet of clovers.

I copied different sizes of shamrocks onto various shades of green 
scrapbook paper, foam, and felt.
I let them liberally add glue, glitter, and gems.


The festivities carried on into supper time.
No pictures of the green macaroni and cheese....
which was a huge hit by the way! 
 Princess Moriah said I should have dyed the meatloaf 
and mashed {Irish} potatoes green also, 
but I have hard enough time getting Prince to eat meatloaf 
without making it green!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...