Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cute as a button

I'm teaching 4th Grade, 3rd Grade, and Kindergarten.  
I'm teaching Preschool.
I'm a mommy to a fast, intelligent 10 m. old.
I have to get creative to keep my sanity.
Having activities to keep them occupied make our days go a lot smoother.  

When I was a little girl, I would go to my Great-Grandma McNamar's house after school on most days.  I have so many good memories of evenings spent with my Grandma Chickens.  She would serve me homemade chocolate chip cookies and Hawaiian Punch, we would play Bingo and Hide the Thimble, and watch the Price is Right.
Grandma taught me to sew cross stitch and sew buttons.  She had jars of buttons and she would get a long piece of colored embroidery thread and I would sew buttons in pretty patterns and designs.  After I was finished, she would cut the string and we would put the buttons back in the jar to start over another day.

My mom has 2 large jars of button that were Grandma Chicken's.  I was so happy to look through them recently and enjoy remembering the exact buttons that Grandma and I used years ago.
When I first brought out the pretty colored buttons,  all of my daughters had to take turns sewing them.  I loved their enthusiasm.  This simple activity is teaching them a trait, a hobby, and good housekeeping skills all at once.

Love my kids,
 

2 comments:

Juf said...

What a great idea!

Luba said...

Thank you for the beautiful post! It's a blessing to see moms training their girls to sew. Starting with buttons is such a great idea (they can start sewing on their own when they fall off, right?).

God bless you and your family. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...